Welcome to Amjad Umar's Personal Web Site
On this website you will find the following information:
· Research and development projects I am currently involved in
· My current, future, and past books.
· Course materials (course outlines, presentation slides, project assignments) based on university and industrial courses that have been taught from these books
· Information about other matters based on requests
My Brief Background
Education: M.S. in Computer and Communication Engineering and
Ph.D. in Information Systems Engineering, both from the
· Founder/CEO of a startup company that specializes in business and technical aspects of next generation enterprises. Leading long-range projects with global corporations and industrial research in computer aided consulting.
and Professor of Information Systems Engineering and Management at
Professor of Telecom Engineering at the
· Senior Technical Advisor to the United Nations initiative on ‘ICT for Developing Countries.
Senior Specialist on ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) with the
Current Areas of Interest: Strategic ICT Planning at a Global level, ICT4D (ICT for Developing Countries), Enterprise Architectures and Integration, Mobile Computing and Wireless Communications, Information Security and Privacy, Digital Enterprises, Digital Governments, Digital Health.
· Director of eBusiness and Distributed Systems at Bellcore (part of the Bell Labs system, now known as Telcordia Technologies) for 10 years. Supervised large scale projects in IT Planning, enterprise architectures and integration, mobile computing, and information security.
· University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania, Rutgers University, Fordham Graduate School of Business, Peking University
· Senior management/consulting assignments with global telecom organizations, US Department of Navy, US Army Research Labs, Frost and Sullivan (England), Toyota Corp., Society of Manufacturing Engineers, manufacturing organizations, and professional services organizations in England, Singapore, China, Italy, and Canada.
· Author of more than 60 research papers and nine books on different aspects of enterprise systems, distributed systems, ebusiness, security and wireless communications.
My Recent Industrial Projects
Next Generation Enterprises (NGEs): I am actively conducting industrial research on the business and technical aspects of NGEs. My main focus is on IT planning, integration, security and administration of NGEs and what type of decision support models and patterns are needed for such enterprises. More …
Computer Aided Planning and Consulting. I am leading projects on computer aided consulting services by using patterns and integrated intelligent systems. The goal is to remotely deliver high quality planning services to developing countries and small to medium businesses (SMBs). The following diagram shows the main results so far (More):
· Computer Aided Strategic Planner (STRAP): The main purpose is to enable governments develop strategic ICT plans quickly and effectively in global settings. STRAP is a main component of the United Nations GAID (Global ICT for Development) initiative.
· GEZA (Global Enterprise Zone for All): This comprehensive portal supports entrepreneurship for developing and developed countries. It provides a set of integrated services (e.g., knowledge services, SMB Yellow Pages, IT Solutions, outsourcing center, and discussion forum) for SMBs of developing plus developed countries.
Pattern Repository for Industry Segments (
· Business Games and Simulations: We are leveraging our patterns repository and computer aided planning systems to develop innovative business games and simulations in entrepreneurship, system integrations, security risk analysis, and business strategies.
Recent and Upcoming Books (click here for more details)
· “Strategic IT Planning in the Global Age”, Target (Dec, 2010)
· “Mobile Computing and Wireless Communications”, second edition, NGE Solutions, Target (Sept 2010)
· “Information Security and Auditing in the Digital Age”, NGE Solutions (2004)
· “Third Generation Distributed Computing Environments”, NGE Solutions (2004)
· “e-Business and Distributed Systems Handbook”, NGE Solutions (2004)
Previous Books (Oldies but Goodies)
· "Distributed Computing and Client/Server Systems", Prentice Hall, 1993.
· "Object-Oriented Client/Server Internet Environments" Prentice Hall, February 1997.
· "Application (Re)Engineering: Building Web-based Applications and Dealing with Legacies", Prentice Hall, May 1997.
Note: All these books are available through Amazon and other booksellers.
Courses Taught (University and Corporate Training)
IT Planning (Corporate Training and Graduate Courses at
Technologies, Web Services, and SOA (
· Mobile computing and wireless communications (Univ of Pennsylvania)- Every spring, since 2000
Security, Privacy and Controls for Managers (MBA Course,
for Business (MBA Course,
Quality and Governance (Corporate Training and Graduate Courses at
· eBusiness Strategies & Technologies (Fordham Schools of Business) – 2003-2008
Systems Analysis, Design, and
Management: Taught at
Support and Expert Systems, Data Mining:
· Distributed Computing and Client-Server Systems: University of Michigan (School of Business plus Engineering), Stevens Institute of Technology (School of Management), Fordham (School of Business), and Corporate Training (through Frost & Sullivan and Society of Manufacturing Engineers) since the mid 1980s (over 30 times)
networks: University of